The Interplace Project
The research project presented on this homepage is called »Interplace«, though its full name is »The interplay between citizen initiatives and invited participation in urban planning: An interaction research project«. The project is funded by The Swedish Research Council Formas through the call for applications »Co-ordinated urban development – a prerequisite for sustainability« in cooperation with the Swedish Energy Agency, the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, the Swedish Transport Administration and the Swedish National Heritage Board. The project was also funded by Region Västra Götaland and the City of Gothenburg and has been associated with Mistra Urban Futures.
The Interplace project was carried out from 1 January 2011 to 31 March 2013 and was managed by The Centre for Environment and Sustainability at Chalmers University of Technology. The project leader was Jenny Stenberg at Chalmers Architecture and the project was transdisciplinary in the sense that the twelve participants had different backgrounds within the academy, worked for the City of Gothenburg and Region Västra Götaland, and ran their own businesses. We have very different backgrounds but still a common connection to urban development through architecture, landscape architecture, design, peace and development research, process management, public administration and global studies.
Our way of working was interactive in the sense that there was a constant dialogue between the project participants and inhabitants, on the one hand, and municipal employees, on the other. We worked with different research methods based on our respective backgrounds. All the participants are presented under the heading Contact.
The project resulted in::
- The book Framtiden är redan här (The future is already here), which is in Swedish and available in full on the homepage under the heading Bok
- A conference in Hammarkullen, 27 February 2013, which is described in Swedish under the heading Konferens
- A number of academic articles and conference contributions in English under the heading Articles
- Lectures and presentations in English can be found under the heading Presentations
- Education in Swedish about citizen dialogue under the heading Utbildning